Cycling Slovenia - The Alps to the Adriatic Sea
Distance: 225 km (58 km/day)
Type of Biking: Hybrid
Duration: 7 days / 6 nights
About your bike tour
Imagine cycling in the Alps on Monday, past ancient castles on Wednesday and swimming in the Mediterranean Sea by the end of the week.
This is cycling in Slovenia, a country smaller than New Jersey that is packed with pristine natural beauty, tidy & charming towns and proud, friendly people. The climate varies from continental to alpine and mediterranean and is lush, green and full of rivers, lakes and caves.
This guided bike tour includes cycling along marked country roads, staying in charming Slovene towns, delicious dinners and wine tastings, a visit to a famous horse farm, an amazing castle built into a cave and ends with a swim in the Mediterranean Sea.
Bike rental is included in tour price (road bike also available at an extra cost)
What we love
- cycling from the Alpine mountains to the Adriatic Sea within a few days
- easy cycling trip with possible extensions for those who wish to cycle more
- Predjama Castle built into a cave
- the famous Lipica Stud Farm
- the Skocjan Caves
- Piran, a lovely town on the Mediterranean Sea
- tasty food and excellent wines
What to know
- Slovenia is about the size of New Jersey
- Slovenia feels like Austria in the mountains, Croatia and Italy near the Adriatic Sea
- we suggest an extra day or so in the relaxed yet youthful capital city, Ljubljana, where we can arrange a shuttle to/from the bike tour
- Minimum of 6 peoples for this trip, if less than 6 tour will be replaced with Best of Slovenia self-guided and price will be adjusted accordingly
- wearing helmets while cycling is mandatory in Slovenia
Photos of this bike tour
Travel destinations on the map
— Day 1: Podkoren (Kranjska Gora)
Our tour begins in the town of Podkoren, right on the Italian and Austrian border. We check into the Hotel Vitran, a charming 3-star country hotel with a fantastic restaurant.
After checking in, we have dinner together at the hotel's restaurant and get ready of a wonderful tour ahead.
Overnight in Podkoren.
66 km Day 2: Kobarid (Kobarid)
After breakfast at the hotels, we are introduced to our bikes. Our guide makes sure the fitting is just right and we're ready to ride.
We have two choices of ride today - the more ambitious group ride up to the Vršič pass (10 km and 800 meters altitude difference), other will be given a lift (including bikes) to the top of the mountain. We continue cycling through Trenta Valley along Soca river, via Boka falls, to Kobarid.
We stay in the Hotel Hvala (4 stars) in Kobarid. Dinner in restaurant Topli Val – one of best fish restaurants in Slovenia.
60 km Day 3: Kozana (Brda)
We start the day with a transfer from Kobarid up Kolovrat mountain to the fantastic viewpoint of Na Gradu. Here we can visit the remains of an Italian Army WW1 fortification. From here we cycle to Goriška Brda is all downhill or flat, with great scenery and no cars at all. (60 km).
We stay in the new romantic Hotel Kozana (3 stars) in Goriska Brda with splendid views over the Brda (Colli) vineyard region.
We gather for a wine tasting & dinner in hotel.
50 km Day 4: Štanjel (Komen)
Today we ride through the Italian and Slovenian twin city Goriza, into the Vipava valley, and up to Stanjel. We visit a winemaker in Spodnja Branica village along the way.
Our hotel is the Hotel App Hisa Sorte (3 stars) in Stanjel. The hotel restaurant has excellent cuisine and its own wine cellar.
Dinner and overnight in Stanjel.
45 km Day 5: Divača (Divača)
Today is filled with amazing highlights. First off is the world famous Lipica Stud Farm, where we visit the horses on the estate. Next up are the UNESCO listed famous Skocjan Caves and the Predjama Castle, built into a cliff.
We cycle on to our destination, Divača. , Our hotel is 10 km from town in a very nice new, small 3 star Hotel Divača with great food in own restaurant.
Dinner and overnight at the Hotel Divaca.
70 km Day 6: Piran (Piran-Pirano)
We ride to the Adriatic Sea today to the lovely seaside town of Piran. A great panoramic cycling path then leads along and above the coastline with vistas of Trieste and Koper Bay to the fashionable resort Portorož and finally, to Piran.
We stay at the Hotel Tartini, a charming 3 star hotel directly on the picturesque town square and a block away from the sea.
Dinner at a local restaurant in Piran to celebrate our last night of the bike tour.
— Day 7: Piran (Piran-Pirano)
After a last breakfast, our tour comes to an end. There are many good onward trip connections or extensions to Croatia, Italy – Venice (by boat), Trieste or return trip to Ljubljana.
Arrival to Podkoren, near Slovene/Italian/Austrian border. The nearest train station is at Jesenice; there, you can board a bus for another 30-minute drive to Podkoren, which is only 20 km away. There is also a train station in Tarvisio, Italy, and in Villach in Austria. From here, you can take a taxi, as both stations are no more than 20 kilometres away.
We suggest you can book additional days in Ljubljana before or after your trip and transfer to start from there.
End of trip after breakfast. There are many good onward trip connections or extension to Croatia, Italy – Venice (by boat), Trieste or return trip to Ljubljana.
Optional: On demand you can book additional days in Ljubljana before or after your trip.
All our hybrid bikes come with suspension forks, soft gel saddles, straight bars, a cycling computer and 21 Shimano Acera gears with "rapid-fire" shifters. A 48-38-28 front gear set makes for a nice fast ride on the road yet easy climbing on the hills. roads.
Our Trek road bikes also come with 21 speed Shimano gears, 23mm tires, carbon forks, a race saddle and a cycling computer.
On all our bikes, our special Continental tires are not only fast and quiet but also very tough to puncture. Every bike comes with a pump, lock and a simple repair kit (but not with a pannier / side bag). Helmets, side panniers in 3 sizes and child seats can be rented separately.
Please note that wearing a helmet is mandatory in Slovenia!
Hybrid trekking bike
included in tour price
Hybrid trekking bike with sloping twin tube frame
included in tour price
Trek road bike - aluminum with carbon fork
- 6x hotel
- 6x breakfast
- 6x four course dinners with typical Slovene regional menus and wine.
- Support “follow up” vehicle, which follows the bikers at distance and is available for help, information, bike service and guidance
- Single guide/driver who organises visits, picnics and is acting as tour director
- Luggage transport between the hotels (one piece per person, excess luggage can be stored in Helia premises for free)
- Above mentioned transfers (if necessary) during trip on days 2 and 3
- Wine tastings on days 3,4 and 5 (3 sorts of wine and cheese)
- Bike rental (classic trekking bikes generation 2011) for 6 days (touring bikes are equipped with a lock, pannier and a basic repair set. Price includes delivery and pick up)
- Road racing bike or light trekking bike brand TREK USA – available for an extra cost
Description of Accommodation during the bike tour
Charming 3-star small hotels with high quality restaurants serving local cuisine. One 4-star restaurant as well.
Accommodation & Rates
- $2,322: Double Room (1 bed)
- $2,322: Double Room (2 beds)
- $2,700: Single Room
Photos of Accommodation
Photos are examples, actual hotel & room may vary.
June 2nd – September 1st 2012
Sat, Jun 16 2012Outdated Sat, Jul 14 2012Outdated Sat, Aug 18 2012Outdated
- New tour dates coming soon!