Bike and Boat Italy - from Mantova to Venice
About your bike tour
This guided bike and boat our starts in the enchanting Renaissance town of Mantova and winds its way along the Mincio and the Po, following the natural course of the longest Italian river.
After a wonderful trip from the countryside to the Po delta, with its incredible wildlife, the most beautiful town of the world is waiting for you: Venice!
The ship will sail some of the way during breakfast or evening meal to make getting out of the towns easier or to shorten the stages.
The cabins are available from 4 p.m. The boat is moored at Porto Catena, just a short walk from the city centre. The meeting with the tour leader and the crew is scheduled at dinner-time, at 7 p.m. Mantova is one of the most beautiful towns in Northern Italy, where a lot of worldwide known artists left their masterpieces, thanks to the financial support of the famous Gonzaga family.
An entire day dedicated to the discovery of this wonderful city and its sorroundings dominated by the family of Gonzaga.
The boat takes you to Governolo, where there is the biggest basin of Italy, built in order to control the Mincio River. You start the ride following the River Po, up to the village of Ostiglia, with the ruins of a medieval fortress. Subsequently you will visit the “Carousel and folk show museum” in Bergantino and enjoy a tasting session at a cheese factory. You will finally reach Zelo, a small and cosy village on “Canal Bianco”.
After breakfast you will start cycling towards Ferrara. A guided visit of this wonderful town will let you discover its historical centre, still sur- rounded by the old city walls. From Ferrara a short bus transfer will bring you to Adria, an ancient Greek port, famous for trading amber coming from the Baltic.
You will be suspended between water and land, as you will pedal between the Po Delta and the mouth of the River Adige. You follow then the Po-Brondolo waterway, which links the river to the Venetian lagoon. You will stay overnight in Chioggia, known as “the little Venice”. A visit to the fish market at dawn is an absolute “must”.
This is the most exciting stage of the tour: the boat brings you to the nature reserve of Ca’ Roman, a sandy islet surrounded by pine- woods. Pedalling along the lagoon, you reach Pellestrina: from here, riding on the cycle path you reach the ferry landing stage. A short boat ride takes you the up the Lido island, along the “Murazzi”, with a stop in Malamocco, the ancient harbour of Venice. The stay over- night is on the Island of Giudecca, not far from St. Mark’s square, with an amazing view of the lagoon.
After waking up to a wonderful view on the lagoon, you have the whole day to discover the magnificent historical centre of the capital of the “Repubblica Serenissima”, or its wonderful islands.
After breakfast and the customary goodbyes, free time for individual visits, or return home, if you haven’t booked any extra night.
Photos of this bike tour
What we love
- arriving at Ostiglia with its unique medieval fortress followed by a wonderful cheese tasting
- cycling to the walled city of Farrara and and enjoying a guided visit of the historical centre
- riding into the maze of the Po Delta, an uncontaminated paradise between marshes and lagoons
- boating on the Venetian lagoon and witnessing age old fishing customs with grand view of St Marks
- waking up to a wonderful day to discover the multitude of magnificent historical sites in Venice
What to know
- the tour is entirely in the low lands and the daily cycling stages vary from 30 km to 55 km
- much of the pedalling is along rivers and canals on tarmac cycle paths or roads with a low volume of car traffic
Shuttle service from area airport or train station available upon request.
Shuttle service to area airport or train station available upon request.
April 12th – October 11th 2014
Sat, Apr 12 2014Outdated Sat, Apr 26 2014Outdated Sat, May 10 2014Outdated Sat, May 24 2014Outdated Sat, Jun 07 2014Outdated Sat, Jun 21 2014Outdated Sat, Jul 05 2014Outdated Sat, Jul 19 2014Outdated Sat, Aug 02 2014Outdated Sat, Aug 16 2014Outdated Sat, Aug 30 2014Outdated Sat, Sep 13 2014Outdated Sat, Sep 27 2014Outdated Sat, Oct 11 2014Outdated Sat, Oct 25 2014Outdated
- New tour dates coming soon!
Accommodation & Rates
- $1,630: Double Room (1 bed)
- $1,630: Double Room (2 beds)
- $2,093: Single Room
- 7 overnights with full board (breakfast, dinner and a self-made packed lunch)
- sheets and towels
- detailed route description, maps (1:75.000) and info-pack
- tour leader on bike
- bus transfer Ferrara–Adria
- harbour charges
- tea and cofee available on board
- mid week service of cabin cleaning and towels change
- entrance and visits as described in the programme
- museums and extras in general
Description of Accommodation during the bike tour
7 overnights full board (breakfast, dinner and a self-made packed lunch) sheets and towels tea and cofee available on board mid week service of cabin cleaning and towels change
High Season Markup
- + $322.50: High season (May 3rd – September 27th)
- + $232.50: middle season (July 5th – August 23rd)
Photos of Accommodation
Photos are examples, actual hotel & room may vary.
27-gear Men's City Sports Bike
27-gear unisex City Sports Bike