Bike and Boat Tour France - from Avignon to Aigues Mortes
About your bike tour
This bike and boat tour through Provence, southern France, is a wonderful tour through the wild Camargue nature with its bulls and horses. We pedal from the medieval fortress of Aigues Mortes to Saintes Maries de la Mer and then gradually by boat towards Arles.
Visit the most typical Provence landscape, including the Rhone Valley, Van Gogh’s Provence, the Roman France of Pont du Gard and finally toast with the precious wines of Chateauneuf du Pape.
Route on bike paths and low traffic roads in rural and city areas. Short stretches are on unpaved roads.
This tour offers the chance to choose if pedalling alone with a very detailed route description or with the whole group, following the tour leader.
Individual arrival at 6 p.m. and boarding in Villeneuve-lès-Avignon.
Navigate up to Avignon, the city of popes, and then cycle in the direction of Châteauneuf-du- Pape, following roads with low levels of traffic surrounded by vine- yards. In Châteauneuf- du-Pape you can enjoy a tasting of the very famous provencal wine. After that you will cross the Rhone. You will cross the Rhone through Roquemaure and return to Villeneuve by following the course of the river.
Today’s stage brings you to the best pre- served Roman aqueduct in Europe: Pont du Gard, a truly spectacular work of architecture. In the evening you will moor in Vallabrègues, a pretty Provençal village on the banks of the Rhone.
This stage brings you to Saint Remy de Provence, birthplace of Nostradamus. This village is also famous for having hosted Van Gogh in the days of his mental illness. Then, you move onto the Alpilles, with Les Baux de Provence, a village lodged in the rock itself. A land- scape of limestone cliffs, lavender and olive trees accompanies your journey.
Today, the whole morning is dedicated to visit Arles, the ancient capital of Gaul with beautiful Roman ruins. You will arrive by bike at the wooden bridge, which was masterfully portrayed by the great painter Van Gogh. Then on up to Saint Gilles from there you will sail to Gallician, where you will spend the night.
You will cycle among cane fields, rice fields and salt lakes, accompanied by horses, flamingos and bulls, and arrive at Saintes Maries de la Mer and then Aigues Mortes.
Following the daily route, you will discover Camargue, where nature still prevails with defiance over the invasion of civilization.
After breakfast, end of services.
Photos of this bike tour
What we love
- navigating to Avignon and cycling to Châteauneuf-du-Pape surrounded by endless vine-yards
- mooring in Vallabrègues and savouring the delights of perfectly prepared French culinary
- strolling through narrow streets in Arles, rich in hidden treasures as painted by van Gogh
- cycling through delicious Provençal villages, vineyards and lavender dear to the great artist
- discovering the Camargue, its wild horses and where nature still prevails over civilization
What to know
- the tour is also available from Aigues Mortes to Avignon on different dates - please contact us for details!
Shuttle service from area airport or train station available upon request.
Shuttle service to area airport or train station available upon request.
April 19th – October 18th 2014
Sat, May 03 2014Outdated Sat, May 17 2014Outdated Sat, May 31 2014Outdated Sat, Jun 14 2014Outdated Sat, Jun 28 2014Outdated Sat, Jul 12 2014Outdated Sat, Jul 26 2014Outdated
- Sat, Aug 09 2014 → Book now!
- Sat, Aug 23 2014 → Book now!
- Sat, Sep 06 2014 → Book now!
- Sat, Sep 20 2014 → Book now!
- Sat, Oct 04 2014 → Book now!
- Sat, Oct 18 2014 → Book now!
Accommodation & Rates
- $1,529: Double Room (1 bed)
- $1,529: Double Room (2 beds)
- $1,997: Single Room
- 7 overnights aboard our classic passenger barge
- daily breakfast
- daily dinners
- daily self-made packed lunch
- sheets and towels
- detailed route description, maps and info-pack
- tour leader on bike
- harbour charges
- coffee and tea on board
- wine tasting in Châteauneuf-du-pape
- Beverages on board
Description of Accommodation during the bike tour
We offer 2 wonderful ships on this trip: SOLEO This boat was built in 1958 and converted into a passenger boat in 1988. The last refit, dated 2009, brought its level to the today’s comfort standards. Capacity 22 people. ESTELLO - Capacity: 20 guests › 10 Double cabins (one with a double bed and nine with twin beds) measuring 7-8 m2. Each cabin has two portholes (one is in the bathroom), is air-conditioned and has en-suite facilities. The air-conditioned living room is divided into two areas: › restaurant, with large picture windows › Bar area with comfortable sofas and armchairs
High Season Markup
- + $150.00: high season (May 4th – October 18th)
Photos of Accommodation
Photos are examples, actual hotel & room may vary.
27-gear Men's City Sports Bike
27-gear unisex City Sports Bike