Bike and Boat Tour France - from Avignon to Aigues Mortes
Location: Southern France
Distance: 295 km (49 km/day)
Type of Biking: Hybrid
Duration: 8 days / 7 nights
About your bike tour
This bike and boat tour through Provence, southern France, is a wonderful tour through the wild Camargue nature with its bulls and horses. We pedal from the medieval fortress of Aigues Mortes to Saintes Maries de la Mer and then gradually by boat towards Arles.
Visit the most typical Provence landscape, including the Rhone Valley, Van Gogh’s Provence, the Roman France of Pont du Gard and finally toast with the precious wines of Chateauneuf du Pape.
Route on bike paths and low traffic roads in rural and city areas. Short stretches are on unpaved roads.
This tour offers the chance to choose if pedalling alone with a very detailed route description or with the whole group, following the tour leader.
What we love
- navigating to Avignon and cycling to Châteauneuf-du-Pape surrounded by endless vine-yards
- mooring in Vallabrègues and savouring the delights of perfectly prepared French culinary
- strolling through narrow streets in Arles, rich in hidden treasures as painted by van Gogh
- cycling through delicious Provençal villages, vineyards and lavender dear to the great artist
- discovering the Camargue, its wild horses and where nature still prevails over civilization
What to know
- September 1, 15 and 29 sail from Avignon
- July 20 tour sails from Aigues Mortes
Photos of this bike tour
Travel destinations on the map
— Day 1: Villeneuve-lès-Avignon (Languedoc-Roussillon)
Individual arrival at 6 p.m. and boarding in Villeneuve-lès-Avignon.
40 km Day 2: Villeneuve-lès-Avignon (Languedoc-Roussillon)
Navigate up to Avignon, the city of popes, and then cycle in the direction of Châteauneuf-du- Pape, following roads with low levels of traffic surrounded by vine- yards. In Châteauneuf- du-Pape you can enjoy a tasting of the very famous provencal wine. After that you will cross the Rhone. You will cross the Rhone through Roquemaure and return to Villeneuve by following the course of the river.
65 km Day 3: Vallabrègues (Languedoc-Roussillon)
Today’s stage brings you to the best pre- served Roman aqueduct in Europe: Pont du Gard, a truly spectacular work of architecture. In the evening you will moor in Vallabrègues, a pretty Provençal village on the banks of the Rhone.
60 km Day 4: Arles (Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur)
This stage brings you to Saint Remy de Provence, birthplace of Nostradamus. This village is also famous for having hosted Van Gogh in the days of his mental illness. Then, you move onto the Alpilles, with Les Baux de Provence, a village lodged in the rock itself. A land- scape of limestone cliffs, lavender and olive trees accompanies your journey.
20 km Day 5: Gallician (Languedoc-Roussillon)
Today, the whole morning is dedicated to visit Arles, the ancient capital of Gaul with beautiful Roman ruins. You will arrive by bike at the wooden bridge, which was masterfully portrayed by the great painter Van Gogh. Then on up to Saint Gilles from there you will sail to Gallician, where you will spend the night.
65 km Day 6: Aigues-Mortes (Languedoc-Roussillon)
You will cycle among cane fields, rice fields and salt lakes, accompanied by horses, flamingos and bulls, and arrive at Saintes Maries de la Mer and then Aigues Mortes.
45 km Day 7: Aigues-Mortes (Languedoc-Roussillon)
Following the daily route, you will discover Camargue, where nature still prevails with defiance over the invasion of civilization.
— Day 8: Aigues-Mortes (Languedoc-Roussillon)
After breakfast, end of services.
Shuttle service from area airport or train station available upon request.
Shuttle service to area airport or train station available upon request.
27-gear Men's City Sports Bike
27-gear unisex City Sports Bike
- 7 overnights aboard our classic passenger barge
- daily breakfast
- daily dinners
- daily self-made packed lunch
- sheets and towels
- detailed route description, maps and info-pack
- tour leader on bike
- harbour charges
- coffee and tea on board
- wine tasting in Châteauneuf-du-pape
- Beverages on board
Accommodation & Rates
- $1,529: Double Room (1 bed)
- $1,529: Double Room (2 beds)
- $1,997: Single Room
High Season Markup
- + $150.00: high season (May 4th – October 12th)
Photos of Accommodation
Photos are examples, actual hotel & room may vary.
April 6th – October 5th 2013
Sat, Apr 06 2013Outdated Sat, Apr 20 2013Outdated Sat, May 04 2013Outdated Sat, May 18 2013Outdated
- Sat, Jun 01 2013 → Book now!
- Sat, Jun 15 2013 → Book now!
- Sat, Jun 29 2013 → Book now!
- Sat, Jul 27 2013 → Book now!
- Sat, Aug 10 2013 → Book now!
- Sat, Aug 24 2013 → Book now!
- Sat, Oct 05 2013 → Book now!
- Sat, Jul 20 2013 → Book now!