Dresden Germany Bike and Beer Tour
About your bike tour
Celebrate Germany's finest beer garden culture, stay in top-level hotels & inns and cycle through one of Germany's most beautiful regions on this fully guided bike tour.
We visit the historic cities of Dresden, Meißen, Pirna, ride to Moritzburg and Pillnitz castles and cycle to the spa town of Bad Schandau, on the border with the Czech Republic.
Along the way, we can visit well over 50 wonderful beer gardens on the Elbe River. Beer gardens are deeply ingrained in Saxon culture and most beer gardens overlook a city, castle or river. We can sample many of Germany's finest beers, delivered fresh from nearby breweries.
We've carefully selected the accommodations to be a pleasure to come home to after a full day's ride. The hotels include historic buildings in town centers, palaces and top quality guest houses. We'll dine in carefully selected restaurant highlighting the finest in German and Bohemian cuisine.
The tour follows one of Europe's most popular bike paths and through "Saxon Switzerland", a landscape of dramatic cliffs overlooking the Elbe River.
Arrive in Dresden. Take a stroll through the old city, sample a few beer gardens overlooking Dresden's panorama before heading off to dinner at a fine local restaurant.
After breakfast, take a walk or short bike through Dresden, visit the famous Semper opera house, Zwinger palace and Frauenkirche, rebuilt after being completely rebuilt after the bombing at the end of World War II.
We cycle up the Elbe River along the bike path to Meissen, renowned for it's famous porcelain. We stop in some of the countless beer gardens along the river and celebrate our ride with a beer in a beer garden overlooking the castle in Meissen.
Our hotel is the heart of the town and we spend the evening enjoying this charming medieval city.
Today we head to Moritzburg, the baroque castle built in 1542, surrounded by lakes and forests.
We can cycle around the castle gardens. While we're at it, we can stop in at the beer garden beautifully located on the garden lake, next to a small palace. Or we can taste some local pastries at the castle cafe.
Next, we ride through Dresden, sampling the beer gardens along the river as it winds through the city. We pedal to Pillnitz, another Baroque castle lying directly on the Elbe River. We can either stay in a hotel in the castle and take a private wine tasting at a local winery or we head back into the Dresden and stay in town for the night.
We ride into Saxon Switzerland today, a beautiful landscape with cliffs, castles and old fishing villages turned into spa towns around the turn of the century. There are wonderful beer gardens for us to enjoy our surroundings that we'll enjoy.
We cycle picturesque Pirna and visit the castle overlooking town, cycle through the spa towns of Rathen and Wehlen. We taste local brews at beer gardens overlooking the Bastei, the spectacular rock formation overlooking the river and Königstein, the strategic fortress dating back to 1233.
Our destination today is Bad Schandau, a relaxed spa town near the Czech border. Here we enjoy dinner and overnight at our hotel along the river.
Today we head into Saxon Switzerland and visit some of the quaint villages as we pedal along the marked bike route. There are plenty of beer gardens in each town and along the bike paths wherever there is a nice view to enjoy a good brew.
We end the day back in Dresden where we celebrate our last night with a visit to the beer gardens in the Neustadt, Dresden's lively bohemian part of town.
After breakfast, our beer garden tour comes to an end. We hope you had a wonderful time in one of Germany's friendliest regions. Auf Wiedersehen!
Photos of this bike tour
What we love
- well over 50 beer gardens, most overlooking a river, town or castle
- Dresden, one of the most important cities in Germany, full of history and culture (and beer gardens!)
- the relaxed elegance of Moritzburg and Pillnitz castles
- the dramatic landscape of Saxon Switzerland
- the easy level of cycling along the river with just a few hills heading up to Moritzburg
What to know
- kayaking day trips on the Elbe River are available too
- most of the routes head along clearly marked bike paths on one of the most advanced bicycle route infrastructures in the world
- our tour packet describes the types of beer we'll be drinking and which ones to sample at specific beer gardens
fly into Dresden International airport, direct train into the city center or taxi.
fly from Dresden International airport or train connection to Berlin, Prague, other cities.
May 15th – October 6th 2015
Accommodation & Rates
- $2,625: Double Room (1 bed)
- $2,625: Double Room (2 beds)
- $2,475: Double Room (2012)
- 5x accommodation in carefully selected hotels and inns
- 5x breakfast
- daily luggage transport
- route sheet and detailed map
- tour information packet, including information on local beers, beer gardens, tour highlights
- carefully selected beer garden, lunch and dinner suggestions
- coupons for free beers at selected beer gardens
- bike rental, available at an extra cost
- lunch and dinners
- transport to and from the tour start/end
- luxury hotel upgrade available
- 2x dinner at highlighting top Saxon and Bohemian cuisine available
Description of Accommodation during the bike tour
We've chosen high quality local hotel and inns, including some in palaces and historic buildings. Our hotels are located in the center of towns, within walking distance of local beer gardens, restaurants and sites.
High Season Markup
- + $187.50: 2015 (June 1st – October 15th)
We offer high quality hybrid and select road bikes on our tours. For group and self guided tours, we drop off the bike at your hotel and pick it up at the end of the trip. The photos of the bikes may vary slightly from the actual bike rented.