100 Best Beer Gardens - Germany Bike and Beer
About your bike tour
Cycle through beautiful German scenery, enjoy over 100 fantastic beer gardens, taste delicious local wines, and stay in 4 star hotels, on this luxurious bicycle tour of a beautiful corner of undiscovered eastern Germany.
We start in historic Dresden, one of Germany's most important and picturesque cities. Our hotel is a castle along the river with panoramic views of the city below. We pedal along the Elbe river bike path, Germany's most popular bike route. There are relaxing beer gardens with river views at every turn, where we taste some of Germany's tastiest brews.
We stay in Görlitz, an architectural gem, take a tour of the Landskron brewery, cycle to Bautzen and stay in a brewery hotel. Then we're onto the castle Moritzburg and the famous city of Meissen, home of the world's finest porcelain. Here we stay in a castle-vineyard and taste some of Germany's finest wines. Then we pedal along the Elbe river bike path back to Dresden for a last celebratory evening in the city's energetic city center.
Highlights: Dresden - Lingner Castle Beer Garden - Wine Tasting in Dresden Vineyards
Arrive in Dresden, one of Germany's most important and beautiful cities.
Dresden defines the rebirth of Germany since unification. Known as the "Florence on the Elbe", Dresden is a charming, relaxed city situation on the banks of the Elbe River in eastern Germany.
Arrive at our 4 hotel located directly in Dresden.
Enjoy our first local tasty beers and fine local wine with a panorama view of Dresden at the beer garden in another castle next door to the hotel. After drinks dinner in the castle restaurant.
Overnight in Dresden.
Highlights: Dresden - Elbe River - Pillnitz Castle - Saxony Switzerland - Pirna - Basetei - Königstein Fortress - Bad Schandau - Toscana Bad Spa
Start the day with a city bike tour of historic Dresden.
Pedal along Germany's most popular bike route - the Elbe River Bike Path and the classic riverside beer gardens.
Start Dresden, in one of Germany's most beautiful and historic cities, and pedal through idyllic scenery to the spa town of Bad Schandau.
Along the way, we can enjoy local beers and bratwurst in countless charming beer gardens along the Elbe River, enjoy the stunning scenery of Saxony Switzerland, and visit the beautiful riverside towns of Pirna, Königstein, Rathen and more.
Our destination is Bad Schandau, a classic spa town on the Elbe, known of its therapeutic mineral springs. We stay in a four star hotel directly on the river where we enjoy a group dinner and an evening visit to the beer gardens in town.
Those looking to relax can take a soothing visit to the Toscana Bad, the famous spa for a steam bath, sauna and dip in the mineral spring.
Overnight in Bad Schandau.
Highlights: Großschönau - transfer to Großschönau - "Fachwerkhauser" in the Oberlausitz - Görlitz - tour and tasting at the Landskron brewery
After breakfast, we take a transfer through the Czech Repubic to Großschönau in the Oberlausitz region. From here, we pass through fairytale-like towns to Görlitz, UNESCO heritage site and architectural gem.
We enjoy a guided tour and beer tasting at the Landskron brewery before dinner.
After dinner, we can take a stroll into Poland on the other side of the river running through Görlitz.
Overnight in Görlitz.
Highlights: Walking tour of Görlitz - Königsheimerberge region - Bautzen - Brewery Hotel - DDR Prison Museum - Brauhaus Bautzen
In the morning, we take a walking tour of Görlitz with an expert guide. The we cycle through the Königsheimer hills to Bautzen, a medieval gem.
We check into our hotel (that's also a local brewery), then we're off to visit one of East Germany's most notorious prisons, now a museum. Afterwards, we head to a charming local brewery and beer garden, the Brauhaus Bautzen.
We head back to our hotel for dinner and beer tasting.
Overnight in Bautzen.
Highlights: Moritzburg lake distric - Moritzburg Castle - wine tasting at Proschwitz Castle - historic Meißen
After breakfast, we transfer to start our bike ride outside Bautzen. We pedal to the Moritzburg castle and enjoy lunch at Fasanenschlösschen, a charming little castle along a royal lake.
We continue cycling to the Zadel Schloss Proschwitz, a luxurious castle hotel and winery outside of Meissen.
Dinner, wine tasting and overnight at the Proschwitz castle winery.
Highlights: City tour of Meißen - Elbe River Beer Gardens - Dresden - Farewell Dinner in Dresden - Dresden Neustadt Nightlife
In the morning, we cycle through Meißen and visit the historic castle overlooking the medieval city center.
Then we cycle along the Elbe River Bike Path back to Dresden. Along the way, there are more fantastic beer gardens along the river for us to enjoy.
Back in Dresden, we return to the 4 star hotel. After checking in, we head to the beer garden in the castle overlooking the Elbe River or sip a glass of local wine at the charming 'wine garden' in the vineyards overlooking the city.
We head to Dresden's dynamic Neustadt neighborhood for dinner and a visit to some of the local pubs to celebrate our last night together.
Overnight in Dresden.
After a last breakfast at our hotel, our trip comes to an end.
Photos of this bike tour
What we love
- Dresden - one of Germany's most historic and beautiful cities
- Sampling dozens of local beers in over 100 beer gardens along the route
- Saxony Switzerland - the natural beauty of the Elbe River Valley
- Enjoying the historic spa and mineral baths in Bad Schandau
- A guided walking tour of Görlitz, an architectural gem
- Enjoying an evening of beer tasting at the brewery hotel in Bautzen
- Pedaling past the fairytale scenery at the castle Moritzburg
- Wine tasting with views of Meissen's magical medieval town
What to know
- There are two versions of this tour: a fully guided tour, led by BikeSherpa's founders Robert Reimann and Andrea Graefe, and a self guided version for those that want more independence.
- Guided version base cost is $1,799.00 per person, self guided base cost is $1,399.00 per person
- We will offer samplings of local beers every evening so no need to try every brew while you're riding!
- E-bikes available on this tour
- Bicycle rental is available at an extra charge
- Dresden is located in Saxony, eastern Germany. Berlin and Prague are both about 1 1/2 hours away
airport or train station in Dresden, Germany
airport or train station in Dresden, Germany
May 1st – October 6th 2014
Accommodation & Rates
- $1,398: Double Room (1 bed)
- $1,398: Double Room (2 beds)
- $2,223: Single Room
- 6x accommodation in carefully selected hotels and inns
- 6x breakfast
- 3x dinner (guided tour only)
- expert guide and support vehicle (guided tour only)
- daily luggage transport
- route sheet and detailed map
- tour information packet, including information on local beers, beer gardens, tour highlights
- wine and beer at beer gardens and during dinners
- 3 dinners not included in tour price, all dinners not included in self guided version
- Spa and mineral bath in Bad Schandau not included
- walking tour of Görlitz with expert guide
- tour of Landskron brewery in Görlitz
- transport to/from start/end of tour
- daily lunch not included
- personal costs throughout the trip
- support vehicle not included in self guided version of this tour
Description of Accommodation during the bike tour
Bellevue Hotel Dresden - 4 stars - www.westin-dresden.de Park Hotel - 4 stars - www.parkhotel-bad-schandau.de Hotel Tuchmacher - 4 stars - www.tuchmacher.de Spree Pension - www.pension-bautzen.eu Schloss Proschwitz - 3 stars (feels like a 4 star) - www.schloss-proschwitz.de
We offer high quality hybrid and select road bikes on our tours. For group and self guided tours, we drop off the bike at your hotel and pick it up at the end of the trip. The photos of the bikes may vary slightly from the actual bike rented.
1 Person is interested in
- Sarahannbgh preferred date: Sat, Jun 08 2013