Bike Tour Italy, Austria & Slovenia - Dolomites to Trieste
About your bike tour
This bike tour takes us through northern Italy, Austria and Slovenia.
We start from the Tyrolean Dolomites of Italy and follow the Drau river along comfortable bike paths to Austria. After a short detour to the Italian border town of Tarvis, we pedal to the natural splendor of Lake Bled in Slovenia.
The final stage of the tour takes us through spectacular countryside to the Adriatic coast running alongside the shoreline to the former Habsburg port of Trieste.
This is an casual tour on well designed bike paths and quiet side roads through small villages and breathtaking landscapes.
Induvidual arrival at the hotel in the Alta Pusteria
Starting at the watershed where the rivers Drau and Rienz meet, we leave the Toblacher basin and cycle alongside the River Drau through South Tyrol to the eastern Tyrolean town of Lienz with the impressive Dolomites lining the route. Overnight in Oberdrauburg
After a short transfer to the crest of the Gailberg Pass, the route descends to Kötschach-Mauthen. Along the way bike path passes through Hermagor close to lake Pressegger. Before you reaching Feistritz, you can relax at the shores of Lake Pressegg. Overnight in Freistitz.
You cross the Italian border and briefly cycle through the country before reaching Slovenia. Continue cycling until you pass the famous ski area of Kranjska Gora in Slovenia. Eventually the cycle path goes through the wonderful and mostly unknown countryside of Slovenia. You get to spend the night in the beautiful area of Lake Bled. Overnight in Lake Bled.
After the transfer over the pass, you get to the Soca Valley which is well known to canoeists and adventure sportsmen. Once in Kobarid it is possible to see some remnants from the battles that occurred during the 1st World War. In the evening make a point of tasting the excellent cuisine and the wonderful wines of this region. The medieval town of Cividale with its many legends and fascinating Ravine Bridge is well worth a visit. Overnight in Cividale.
While cycling through the Collio Goriziano which is the centre of the Friuli wine growing region, thereare many wine cellars for a tasting the excellent wines. After tackling a few hills the route reaches Cradisca where you can stay the night or take the other variant to Udine the most important town in the Friuli region which is well worth a visit as well.
The Karst is a geological formation which accompanies you on your way to the Adriatic coast. Before you get to the former Habsburg port of Trieste still visibly linked to its Viennese past, it is worth your while to stop off at the Miramare castle. Overnight in Trieste
Individual departure or an extension of your stay
Photos of this bike tour
What we love
- pedalling amidst the majestic Dolomites of South and East Tyrolean Dolomites
- sampling the traditional Bled cream cake while viewing the famed island church situated in the middle of the glacial lake
- walking across the Devil’s Bridge in Cividale, wrapped in legend and suspended over a deep scenic ravine
- cycling along the Adriatic coastline where Roman, Byzantine, and Venetian sailors appreciated its luminous waters
- discovering the unique mood of Trieste and where the classical white Karst cliffs are reflected in the blue waters of the Adriatic.
What to know
- bike helmets are required while cycling in Slovenia
- short transfers up mountain passes are available
Low cost flights are available to “Sant’ Angelo - Antonio Canova” Treviso or to
the Marco Polo airport in Venice. Upon a request, we even organize transfers from the airport to the starting point of the cycle tour.
May 5th – September 9th 2012
Accommodation & Rates
- $1,032: Double Room (1 bed)
- $1,032: Double Room (2 beds)
- $1,216: Single Room
- With a minimum of 5 pax we can organize a start on every other day (only on request - depending on the availability
- Luggage transfer from hotel to hotel
- Transfer by minibus from Oberdrauburg to the Gailberg Pass
- Transfer by train from Bled to Most na Soci
- Well planned routes
- Detailed documents (maps, route description, places to visit, important telephone
- Telephone service hotline for the entire tour
- Free parking in Alta Pusteria
Description of Accommodation during the bike tour
Accommodation in hotels and inns in a 3***star category Breakfast buffet or full breakfast
High Season Markup
- + $60.00: high season (June 27th – September 8th)
since the bikes come in various colors and sizes, your actual bike may vary slightly from those shown here.